Thursday, January 28, 2010

A brand spankin' new creative journal

Oh the excitement that comes with the purchase of a brand new journal...I LOVE it! I love them so much that I actually bought two yesterday, mostly because I had a gift card from my nephew from Christmas 2008 that I had yet to use and thought, hmmm what do I want to treat myself to at Barnes and Noble...and after much searching around, it hit me. I don't need another book to read right now, I need a book to write!

So I found the cool journal and sketchbook wall and picked out two. I wanted ones with blank covers to make them my own. Also, I prefer to use sketchbooks for journals because typically journals are lined and I don't  like to write on the lines (again, not a linear thinker... it's too confining for me).  I like the freedom of writing random thoughts anywhere at all angels in fun and crazy font styles combined with magazine clippings, phrases, quotes, art elements, paints, colored markers and pencils etc...I am sooo anxious to mess them up. They're just too pristine and empty right now. See?




There's my shadow, but soon I will put my own personal stamp on them and post for comparison.  Creative Journalling is all about artistic expression along side of traditional handwritten thoughts and ideas. To start I tear apart magazines with phrases that I can relate to and think I will be able to use for journalling prompts in the books. Here are a few I tore out just now.

1.  Guilt is not one of its ingredients.
2.  Any similarities to real life flavors are purely intentional.
3.  Feed their curiosity.
4.  Some relationships are meant to be.
5.  WAKE-UP CALL no. 9
6.  move closer to your goals NOW
7.  Wine needs time to breathe. People do too: How Do You Breathe
8.  Kinda beats stirring fruit up from the bottom, doesn't it?
9.   NEVER HIDE
10.  ARE YOU IN MINT CONDITION?

These were all from ads.  Can you match the phrase up with the Company that placed the ad?

a.  Ray Ban
b.  Oscar Mayer
c.  Special K
d.  Altoids
e.  Danskin
f.  Sun Chips
g.  Jelly Belly
h.  Pepperidge Farm
i.  Turning Leaf
j.  Edy's

Now forget the ad and try to think how you would apply just the phrase to your life and what it would bring to your creative journal. Here's where it gets fun! Yeah, play time, get out the sissors, glue, pens, pencils, ribbons etc...it's time to make a big mess!!! Fun Fun Fun. Explore, enjoy, and exercise your mind.

Oh what, you want the answers? alright...scroll down:


(1f, 2g, 3b, 4h, 5c, 6e, 7i, 8j, 9a, 10d)

No comments:

Post a Comment